Your cart

Your cart is empty

🇦🇿 Azerbaijan

The echoes of ancient trade routes blended with modern technology

アゼルバイジャンの位置・地図

Azerbaijan is a republic situated approximately 7,600 km away from Japan, along the coast of the Caspian Sea. The country spans 86,600 square kilometers, about a quarter of Japan's size. With a population of 10 million, the capital is Baku. Azerbaijani is the official language, sharing similarities with Turkish and Turkmen. Azerbaijan's most striking feature lies in the contrast between the echoes of ancient trade routes and modern architecture.

History of wine

アゼルバイジャンの葡萄畑

Situated in the Caucasus, often considered the birthplace of viticulture alongside Georgia, Azerbaijan has a wine history dating back to around 7,000 to 6,000 BCE. Archaeological finds include clay vessels called "qvevri." Thriving as a crucial Silk Road hub, wine production flourished in this region for millennia.

During the Soviet era, the wine industry faced a significant downturn. However, post-independence, Azerbaijan's vibrancy returned, and efforts have been poured into reviving the wine industry. Winemaking has resumed, marking a renaissance in Azerbaijan's wine culture. Cheers to the comeback! 

Wine regions

アゼルバイジャンのアズグラナタワイナリー

  • Ganja & Lesser Caucasus
  • Shirvan Valley & Greater Caucasus
  • Caspian Shoreline

Grape varieties

サペラヴィ種、ジョージアの土着品種

More than 300 grape varieties, including well-known ones like Rkatsiteli and Saperavi, along with ancient varieties, are cultivated in Azerbaijan. 

Bayan Shirei

While considered a native variety of Azerbaijan, there's also a theory suggesting that it originated in Armenia. Known for its large, round fruits, this grape exhibits a crisp acidity, citrusy aroma, and refreshing mineral character. Wines produced from Bayan Shirei are light, lively, and well-defined. The English name "Bayan Shirei" is used synonymously with "Bayanshira."

Rkatsiteli

This variety hails from the Caucasus region and is mainly used for white wine. It's not just in Azerbaijan but also widely cultivated in Georgia, Moldova, Ukraine, Armenia, Bulgaria, and more. It's employed in the production of white wine, orange wine, and sparkling wine. Known for its aromas of green apple, citrus, quince, and peach, it boasts a nice balance of acidity and a light body. It pairs well with Lebanese, Turkish, and Indian cuisines, as well as dishes featuring eggplant. 

Saperavi

Saperavi is Georgia's most famous red grape variety. It's not just loved in Georgia but also in Azerbaijan, Ukraine, Moldova, and Romania. The name Saperavi means "dyer" because its pigments permeate the flesh, giving it a deep and rich red color, perfect for long aging. It produces a full-bodied wine with abundant tannins, elevated acidity, and a spicy flavor profile, accompanied by rich aromas of dark berries, licorice, plum, and tobacco. Saperavi wines come in various styles, from sweet to dry, and even fortified wines. They pair wonderfully with pizza, BBQ, and cheesy pasta dishes. 

Statistical data

アゼルバイジャンの首都、バク

As of the 2021 OIV data, Azerbaijan's grape cultivation area is 16,232 hectares, ranking 43rd globally. The annual wine production stands at 130,000 hectoliters (or 13 billion liters). Approximately 80% of this wine is consumed domestically, with the remaining 20% exported. On a per capita basis (calculated for individuals aged 15 and above), the annual wine consumption is 1.1 liters.

List of favorite
Azerbaijani wines
⇩⇩⇩⇩⇩⇩⇩

8 Results

Azgranata Bayanshira 2018
Member discount*

Azgranata Bayanshira 2018

¥3,135

Unit price
per 

Azgranata Saperavi 2016
Member discount*

Azgranata Saperavi 2016

¥3,135

Unit price
per 

Azgranata Madrasa 2016
Sold out

Azgranata Madrasa 2016

¥3,135

Unit price
per 

Azgranata Rkatsiteli 2017
Member discount*

Azgranata Rkatsiteli 2017

¥3,135

Unit price
per 

ギョユギョル・サぺラヴィ 2018年 / Goygol Saperavi 2018
Member discount*

Goygol Saperavi 2018

¥3,300

Unit price
per 

ギョユギョル・カベルネ・ソーヴィニヨン 2015年 / Goygol Cabernet Sauvignon 2015
Member discount*

Goygol Cabernet Sauvignon 2015

¥3,300

Unit price
per 

Azerbaijani Reds / three-bottle bundle / 5% OFF
5% off
Member discount*

Azerbaijani Reds / three-bottle bundle / 5% OFF

Regular price ¥9,735 ¥9,248 Sale

Unit price
per 

Azerbaijani wines / five-bottle bundle / 10% OFF
10% off
Members only

Azerbaijani wines / five-bottle bundle / 10% OFF

Regular price ¥16,005 ¥14,404 Sale

Unit price
per